If you want to whiten your teeth, you are not alone. Millions of Americans whiten their teeth every single year. Whether they are preparing for a family event like a wedding or graduation, or they simply want to improve their smile, there are many reasons to have your teeth whitened. But if you do any search on the internet about getting your teeth whitened, you are sure to get a lot of information about different products, methods, and more. In this article, we will address some of the common questions about professional teeth whitening services.
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?
One of the benefits of having your teeth professionally whitened is that this is the safest method. Generally you can break teeth whitening products/procedures into three categories:
- Teeth Whitening Procedures Administered By Your Dentist
- Teeth Whitening Products Provided By Your Dentist
- Teeth Whitening Products Obtained Over The Counter Without The Oversight Of Your Dentist
That final category is the only category with any concerns in terms of safety. Procedures provided by dentists and products provided by dentists are considered safe by many of America’s top dental organizations including the ADA. Granted, it is imperative that you follow the instructions of any at-home products you use. Your dentist will likely go over the instructions with you if you take any whitening products home.
Are Over The Counter Teeth Whitening Products Safe?
As mentioned above products recommended by your dentist or procedures performed by a dentist are deemed safe as long as instructions are followed. However, over-the-counter products and online DIY methods are potentially less safe. It is useful to talk about any teeth whitening methods with your dentist before trying them. Additionally, you want to check for the ADA’s Seal of Acceptance. This seal is a sign that the ADA has reviewed this product and deem it safe and effective.
Does Professional Teeth Whitening Work Better?
Aside from safety one of the chief benefits of professional teeth whitening is how effective it is. Professional teeth whitening has three potential benefits over DIY and over-the-counter products:
- Strength: One of the main reasons people get their teeth cleaned professionally is that professional products are stronger than OTC products. This means you can get your teeth shades whiter quickly.
- Time: Professional teeth whitening treatments involve making custom trays designed to quickly and effectively whiten teeth. These trays are custom fit to your teeth which means you get better results quicker.
- Duration: Professional teeth whitening is said to provide longer-lasting results than OTC products.
Schedule a Teeth Whitening Appointment
Our team provides teeth whitening services for our dental clients in Lisbon and the surrounding towns. If you would like to get your teeth cleaned professionally, we would be happy to see you for a first appointment. Our team can answer any questions you have about our teeth whitening products. And of course, the best way to keep your teeth white is to keep them clean with brushing, flossing, and regular visits to your local dentist.