Tooth loss can be a serious problem for adults. As kids, we might have looked forward to the feeling of a tooth getting loose as it was a sign of growing up. But one thing many adults might not be aware of is how common tooth loss is as they get older. Even with great dental habits, age can cause teeth to get loose and fall out. But unlike when were children, there are no new teeth to take the place of the old ones. That is why it is important to understand different tooth replacement options. One of the best options is dental implants. Continue reading to learn more about the dental implant process, implants vs. dental bridges, and what to expect with a dental implant. If you live in the Lisbon Maine area and are interested in getting dental implants, please give us a call.
How Many Dental Visits Does It Take To Get A Dental Implant?
Dental implants require a few appointments. The dental implant process can involve the following steps taken over the course of a few months:
- Dental Exam: First a dental exam including x-rays can be done to get a better idea of what will need to be done for your specific implant process. This can also include looking into your dental and medical history. Once complete, a treatment plan will be created and explained to you.
- Tooth Removal: If your dental implant requires a tooth to be removed first, that will be handled first.
- Implant Placement: The implant post is then added into the socket that was left behind. In some cases, jawbone grafting will be necessary before the implant post is placed.
- Healing: Over the course of a few months a patient will be on a liquid and then soft food diet while the jawbone heals and accepts the implant post.
- Abutment Placement: Once the jaw has healed, an abutment is added to the post and the artificial tooth is attached to the abutment.
Dental Implants vs Dental Bridges
Implants are often chosen over dental bridges because of their many advantages. The structure of an implant mirrors the natural teeth. This helps the face keep its shape compared to bridges or dentures. Bridges can also lead to problems for the surrounding teeth. Implants also last longer than dental bridges when properly taken care of.
How Long Do Dental Implants Last?
For many patients, dental implants can last their lifetime. Implants can last for decades, whereas other tooth replacements might not last as long. That said, lastability is often impacted by oral care and maintenance.
What Are All-On-4 Dental Implants?
All-On-4 Dental Implants are a tooth replacement solution where four implant posts are surgically inserted, and a full row of teeth are attached to the posts. Instead of needing one post for each tooth, you can replace all of your upper or lower teeth with only a few dental posts.
Dental Implants in Lisbon Maine
If you are interested in restorative dental procedures like dental implants and live in the Lisbon Maine area, please give us a call for more information regarding dental implants.