Preventative dental teeth cleanings at our Lisbon, Maine, dental office include teeth cleaning, mouth inspection, oral cancer screening, and more.
Dental Tooth Cleaning | Preventative Maintenance For Dental Health | Lisbon, ME
Dental Teeth Cleaning Services at Two Rivers Family Dentistry
One of the best ways to keep your teeth and gums healthy, strong, and looking their best is to have your teeth cleaned every three to six months depending on your dental needs. Professional teeth cleaning involves the use of instruments specially designed to remove plaque and tartar buildup on your teeth. It also includes a dental exam by one of our dentists to check for any potential underlying issues, such as oral cancer.
A dental cleaning usually takes between 30 and 60 minutes. However, if it’s been a while since your last dental visit you might need a more in-depth cleaning, especially if your gums are inflamed or showing signs of gum disease.
Professional Teeth Cleaning & Oral Hygiene
We make your teeth cleaning a simple, easy, largely stress-free affair, and would recommend visiting your dental hygienist at least twice a year.
A teeth cleaning utilizes custom tools and technology to complete a full tooth cleaning. The appointment is usually between a half-hour to an hour.
Typical teeth cleaning will include some (or all) of the following:
- Discussion about your oral health
- Dental exam
- Gum measurements (checking for gingivitis or periodontitis)
- Scaling (removing plaque, tartar, and stains from the tooth surface)
- Scaling combined with root planing (deep dental cleaning for patients with gum disease)
- Fluoride treatment utilizing a mix of liquid fluoride rinse, trays, and in some cases, a fluoride varnish
- Bleeding gums
- Periodontal Disease
If you have any of the following conditions we would recommend more frequent visits:
- Highly susceptible to cavities
- A smoker
- Experiencing dry mouth due to a medication
- Have had orthodontic work