Are Invisalign Braces Right For My Teen?
As parents, you might not have had a lot of options when it came to orthodontics other than what color you wanted your rubber bands to be. But nowadays there are a variety of orthodontic treatments that are available for our kids. In this article, we will cover the pros and cons of traditional braces vs Invisalign. However, the best option for your teen is probably an orthodontic consultation. Costs and treatment times are most impacted by the nature of your child’s teeth. So meeting with a dentist or orthodontist is always the best call.
Invisalign vs Traditional Braces
One of the best advantages of Invisalign braces is that they can be removed. This provides a variety of benefits for teenagers:
- Less Chance Of Breaking Braces: Removable braces means a lower chance of needing an emergency orthodontist appointment.
- Style: Invisalign braces are harder to notice. For generations, teenagers have hated traditional metal braces for their strange looks. Invisalign gives teens a better look and can be removed for pictures.
- Better Oral Care: One of the difficulties that braces bring are the challenges of flossing and brushing your teeth when you have metal wires in the way. Removable braces make it easier to take care of your teeth.
- No Diet Restrictions: If you had tradtional braces as a teen you may have had a refrigerator magnet with a full list of all the foods you couldn’t eat. Gum, candies, popcorn, hard chips, there are many foods your teen will miss out on while they have braces.
The most important thing with Invisalign is consistency. The treatment is only effective as long as your teenager is using the Invisalign braces. Invisalign braces need to be worn upwards of 23 hours per day. Teenagers who take out their braces for the entire school day are not going to see results. Invisalign works best for teenagers who are disciplined and going to stay on top of their treatment. However, it is important to note that many teenagers get Invisalign braces and have no issue with the 23 hour wear times. As long as their provider makes it clear that this is necessary, teens usually don’t have an issue maintaining their treatment regiment.
On average Invisalign prices can cost around $5000. This differs based on the length of time needed for the treatment.
Traditional braces have effectively helped teens and adults handle orthodontic needs for decades. This is a tried and true method for straightening teeth.
- Complex Cases: Invisalign braces are often not recommended for more complex cases. In many instances, if your teen has a more unique case, traditional braces are the best recommendation.
- Consistent Results: Traditional braces do not require your teen to remember to put them in and can’t be lost. Because they are attached to the teeth you do not need to worry about your teen potentially losing their braces.
- Cost: Generally speaking traditional braces are cheaper than Invisalign or similar products. Invisalign braces require multiple sets of retainers, while traditional braces just require tightening.
One of the bigger cons with traditional braces is the fact that they require more orthodontist appointments. Additionally, they can be uncomfortable to wear and can hurt your teen’s mouth if they break. One other common complaint is that traditional braces do not work as fast as Invisalign. And for many teens the pros of Invisalign greatly outweigh the cons of traditional braces. Quicker treatment, flexibility, and comfort are all core reasons to choose Invisalign over traditional braces.
Traditional braces can cost anywhere from $2000 to $600 depending on the length of treatment and how many visits you need. While the overall cost of the metal braces is lower, the costs of multiple dental visits can be a factor.
Learn More About Invisalign
If you have questions about Invisalign we recommend reading more about the treatment on this page or reading through our FAQ. We would also love to have you and your kids come to our location to discuss your questions about Invisalign braces.